Lecturer - Digital Degree Apprenticeships (Manchester)
Nature of the role: Full time (we will consider part-time or job-share arrangements for the right candidate).
Responsible for: Teaching on our digital degree apprenticeships
Salary: £40,000 - £48,000 dependent on relevant experience.
Location and travel: the post holder will be required to lead face-to-face delivery in central Manchester on a regular basis. Some overnight travel to London will be required, for which travel and accommodation will be covered.
Start date: October/November 2023, or as soon as possible after that.
Closing date for applications: Monday 9 October at 11.00. We will be reviewing adverts on a rolling basis as they are received and reserve the right to remove the advert should an excellent candidate be identified before this date so early applications are recommended.
Welcome to Ada!
We are a specialist digital skills college training and developing diverse higher-level apprentices into fantastic roles in the tech sector and transforming their lives in the process. Our mission is to educate and empower the next generation of diverse digital talent.
We are at an exciting time in the development of Ada in the North West. Building on our success in London we took our first cohort of 7 apprentices in the region in 2021, and then enrolled 89 apprentices in 2022-23. We are now building our team in preparation for further growth over the coming years. We are looking to recruit someone inspired by Ada’s mission and energised by the chance to play a key role in scaling up our work and impact in the region.
We are looking for a Lecturer to lead on the delivery modules in our degree apprenticeships in the region, covering aspects of our Data Analyst, Software Engineer, Cyber Security and Tech Consultant apprenticeships
You will play to your strengths to design and deliver technical content, both face to face and remotely, while further develop your knowledge and skills.
You’ll join a small dedicated team in the region as well as being part of our national academic team, training apprentices with a wide range of employers such as PwC, Booking.com, Autotrader, HPE and Sykes Cottages.
This is a unique opportunity to work with a growing number of employers and apprentices, and play a key role in establishing an exciting new educational institution in the region.
- Design and deliver modules in your allocated area, deploying both face to face and remote delivery, and ensuring teaching style and learning materials are differentiated for a range of abilities and prior experience
- Operate as module lead for a small number of modules across our programmes, taking overall responsibility for module design, development, and assessment approach.
- Create and mark assignments and exams, using a range of up-to-date assessment methods
- Provide feedback to apprentices on their progress and provide additional support where necessary
- Work collaboratively to ensure that individualised support programmes are in place for learners from diverse backgrounds
- Supervise dissertations for final-year apprentices
- Collaborate with colleagues in London and Manchester, supporting on modules as needed, and contributing to developing and maintaining high quality teaching materials
- Ensure the content you are teaching aligns to the Knowledge, Skills, and Behaviours of the relevant apprenticeships you are teaching on
- Get involved in the design and delivery of other Ada projects as required
- Take on-board feedback from apprentices, peers and senior leaders to continuously improve your teaching and help apprentices learn better
- As part of the wider teaching team at Ada, you will collaborate with your peers (including all our 6th form staff) and team members, giving and receiving feedback, planning ahead and supporting each other to ensure an ever-improving experience for our apprentices and a culture of continued professional development for all staff members
- EITHER: Professional experience in e.g. software development, data analytics or cyber security
- AND/OR Degree or equivalent in a technical subject (Computer Science, Software Engineering, STEM with demonstrable use of technology)
- Substantial teaching or skills development experience
- Proficiency teaching university level introductory courses in a range of areas e.g. programming, databases, cloud computing, app development, business risk, cyber security, technology project management and delivery.
- Experience of course design and delivery
- Experience of academic assessment
- Experience using remote learning tools would be an advantage
- Post-graduate qualification in a technical subject or equivalent experience
Personal Qualities, Aptitudes and Skills:
- A commitment to Ada’s mission and values
- An inspiring communicator and facilitator with a strong interest in what good teaching looks like
- A passion for sharing your knowledge and supporting others to learn effectively
- Strong collaborative working skills
- Excellent time management, organisational and planning skills
Ada, the National College for Digital Skill is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. The post holder will be subject to enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks and references will be sought from previous employers prior to commencing employment.
Ada, the National College for Digital Skills recognises that equality of opportunity and the recognition and promotion of diversity are integral to its strengths. The following principles apply in respect of the College’s commitment to equality and diversity:
- To provide and promote equality of opportunity in all areas of its work and activity;
- To recognise and develop the diversity of skills and talent within its current and potential community;
- To ensure that all employees and prospective employees of the College are treated solely on the basis of their merits, abilities and potential without receiving any unjustified discrimination or unfavourable treatment on grounds such as age, disability, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender reassignment, trans status, socio-economic status or any other irrelevant distinction;
- To provide and promote a positive working, learning, and social environment which is free from prejudice, discrimination and any forms of harassment, bullying or victimisation;
- To promote good relations between individuals from different groups.
Applicants with disabilities
Ada, the National College for Digital Skills is keen to increase the number of disabled people it employs. We therefore encourage applications from individuals with a disability who are able to carry out the duties of the post. If you have special needs in relation to your application please contact us.
Right to Work in the UK
Ada is unable to offer Tier 2 sponsorship for this role. Please ensure that you already have the legal right to work and reside in the UK.