We are looking for someone to join us in the new role of Junior Lecturer working with our higher-level apprentices to develop their talents in and passion for tech.
Welcome to Ada!
Nature of the role: Full time or 0.8FTE role available
Responsible for: Supporting the administration and delivery for our degree apprenticeship modules.
Salary: £32,000 - £38,000 (fte) dependent on relevant experience.
Closing date for applications: 23 November 2020. We reserve the right to remove the advert sooner should an excellent candidate be identified before this date so early applications are recommended.
Ada is a specialist in digital skills college training and developing diverse higher-level apprentices into fantastic roles in the tech sector and transforming their lives in the process. We work with over 30 of the most cutting-edge companies on the planet. They choose us because of the amazing quality of our teaching, learning and support.
We are growing rapidly. We have nearly 250 apprentices on roll from a wide range of backgrounds: 75% are recent school leavers, though the oldest is 42. A third are young women, one third BAME and many come from tough backgrounds. They represent over 15 different nationalities. They are united by their passion and enthusiasm for tech! Apprentices enrol on one of three degree apprenticeships: software development, data analytics or a more generalist tech consultant programme all of which are validated by the Open University. All of our apprenticeship training is currently delivered remotely but before Covid was from our Whitechapel campus, just minutes from the tube and train station.
We are looking to recruit enthusiastic individuals who are keen to take on a new challenge and demonstrate their skills at teaching sharing their expertise across a range of tech related topics with the next generation of digital pioneers. We will invest in your development so that you can develop your skills and change the lives of thousands of young people with a passion for tech desperate to break into the sector.
Your role will be integral in ensuing on-going high standards of teaching, learning and assessment for our degree programmes. We will work with you to identify, initially in a supporting role, which modules you have expertise in and give you exposure to new modules. You will have a significant part in shaping a new type of education institution that is on track to have a national impact. We are already expanding to Manchester.
You will be part of the lecturing team delivering 30 different modules for our degree apprenticeships. These modules form our three pathways of software developer, data analyst and tech consultant.
For about half of your time you will be a support lecturer for more senior lecturers with all aspects of preparation, in class support, marking and administration that this entails.
You will lead aspects of their learning initially but will in time lead all aspects of specific modules. This will be about 10% of your time.
For much of the remainder you will be working with individual students to ensure they are on track academically. These students would include those that have had a break in learning, for example someone returning from maternity, students who have failed an assessment or perhaps those who have missed a module through illness. A relatively small number of apprentices need additional support to reach their potential and we need someone motivated to build these effective working relationships with junior professionals balancing a first job in tech with a demanding academic programme.
Occasionally, you will also work with the in-work team to offer technical advice and support where necessary. For example, you may be required to join a meeting with our industry partners to help explain aspects of the curriculum or provide detail of an individual student's progress.
- Support lecturers in the delivery of engaging course material to apprentices and ensure their educational progress
- Work with lecturers to update and create new learning content for existing lectures and workshops preferably applying it to real world scenarios
- Administer and mark assignments and exams
- Provide feedback to apprentices on their progress and provide additional support where necessary
- Work collaboratively with the teaching team to ensure that individualised support programmes are in place for learners such as those with Special Educational Needs
- Learn to be an effective junior lecturer for specific aspects of modules aligned to your experience and expertise
- EITHER: Professional experience in software development or data analytics
- AND/OR Degree/Higher Apprenticeship in technical subject (Computer Science, Software Engineering, STEM with demonstrable use of technology)
- Teaching/tutoring experience
- Experience of academic assessment
Personal Qualities, Aptitudes and Skills:
- Strong collaborative working skills
- A strong interest in teaching
- A passion towards sharing your knowledge and supporting others to learn effectively
- Ability to inspire people
- Excellent time management, organisational and planning skills
The successful candidate will be required to apply for an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and completed other related pre-employment checks appropriate to the post. Further information about the DBS be found at www.gov.uk.
Ada. National College for Digital Skills recognises that equality of opportunity and the recognition and promotion of diversity are integral to its strengths. The following principles apply in respect of the College’s commitment to equality and diversity:
- To provide and promote equality of opportunity in all areas of its work and activity;
- To recognise and develop the diversity of skills and talent within its current and potential community;
- To ensure that all employees and prospective employees of the College are treated solely on the basis of their merits, abilities and potential without receiving any unjustified discrimination or unfavourable treatment on grounds such as age, disability, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender reassignment, trans status, socio-economic status or any other irrelevant distinction;
- To provide and promote a positive working, learning, and social environment which is free from prejudice, discrimination and any forms of harassment, bullying or victimisation;
- To promote good relations between individuals from different groups.
Applicants with disabilities
Ada. National College for Digital Skills is keen to increase the number of disabled people it employs. We therefore encourage applications from individuals with a disability who are able to carry out the duties of the post. If you have special needs in relation to your application please contact our HR Department via firstname.lastname@example.org .
How to apply
Please email email@example.com with a copy of your CV and a brief statement, no more than 500 words, stating why you wish to join us at Ada. If you would like to have a conversation about the role, before applying formally please send your CV to the above email address and outline the questions you have and a member of the team will get in touch with you. We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis so recommend that candidates apply as early as possible.
All appointments are subject to an enhanced DBS check, satisfactory references and where required overseas police checks.
Ada is unable to offer Tier 2 sponsorship for this role. Please ensure that you already have the legal right to work and reside in the UK.
In the subject field please write “Application to join the team as a Junior Lecturer” followed by your name.
Ada, National College for Digital Skill is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. The post holder will be subject to enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks and references will be sought from previous employers prior to commencing employment
Thank you for your interest and good luck with your application!