Head of Business Development
Type of role: 4 or 5 days per week, permanent
Reporting to: CEO
Annual Salary: £50,000 pro rata
Location: Central London - Tottenham Hale and/or Whitechapel
Start date: Autumn 2021
Closing date for applications: 11.00 on Tuesday 28 September
Welcome to Ada!
We are a fast growing, high impact College that works with 50+ companies to attract, select and train the next generation of diverse digital talent, harnessing tech as a tool for social mobility.
As the first brand new Further Education College in England since 1993, we are blazing a new trail for young people with an interest in tech. We currently educate 400 students and apprentices and are entering an exciting period of growth that you will spearhead by identifying and nurturing new employer partners who are excited to partner with us.
Our values driven staff team work across campuses in Tottenham Hale, Whitechapel and central Manchester with our pioneering and diverse student body and broad range of partners ranging from large corporates like Salesforce, Deloitte and Bank of America through to SMEs like Accurx, Call Sign and Sykes Cottages.
What’s your mission?
We are searching for a dynamic Head of Business Development to drive forward the identification, cultivation and sustained engagement with new employer partners to recruit and train their diverse technical apprentices with Ada, in particular:
- Reach growth targets for the number of new employer partners training apprentices with Ada
- Work closely with the CEO, Director of External Relations and other senior leaders to ensure a joined up approach to stakeholder engagement
- Grow a small dedicated Business Development team over the next 12-24 months
- Represent Ada to a wide range of stakeholders in a variety of different environments from seminars and conferences to private dinners and lunch‘n’learns at fast-growing tech companies
Key responsibilities of this role include:
- Research, cultivate and manage senior relationships with new and existing industry partners that generate year-on-year growth in the volume of technical apprenticeships that Ada recruits and trains apprentices for
- Work with our Board Members, industry advocates as well as the CEO and External relations team to identify and target new employer partners
- Work with the CEO, Director of External Relations and relevant Board Members to develop and implement a defined growth strategy that gives ensures we will meet our medium term growth targets
- Build a small but highly effective business development team that is laser focused on generating new technical apprenticeship opportunities for diverse young people in the South East, North West and ultimately nationally
- Create a strategy for the on-going management of the wide variety of industry partners we have from large corporate and government departments & agencies through to 10-person start-up.
- Work with External Relations team to conduct regular surveys and feedback, including NPS ratings, to measure our effectiveness and partner satisfaction
- Build collaborative and effective internal relationships that are mutually reinforcing and help achieve more opportunities for young people as well as meet the College’s wider goals around fundraising and employer engagement through volunteering
- Contribute to the on-going growth of our CRM database by ensuring all employer partner interactions are recorded and BD pipelines maintained and up to date.
- Contribute to the annual refresh of the College’s marketing and communications strategy including employer and apprentice focused campaigns
- Responsibility for the effective management of the Business Development budget
We’d really like to hear from you, if…
- You get a real kick out of identifying and cultivating new employer relationships that lead to the creation of life-changing employment opportunities for diverse young people
- You believe higher level and degree apprenticeships, especially in the tech sector, offer diverse young people a fantastic opportunity to launch their careers
- You love talking to people and are passionate about evangelising Ada’s mission to employer partners and wider stakeholders
- You are curious, data-oriented and proactive, always searching for, and following up on, leads and possible opportunities
- You enjoy responsibility and will take pride in representing Ada to stakeholders
- You enjoy and have experience of pitching and giving presentation talks and patiently answering people’s questions
- You enjoying being on the move, out and about and meeting people in-person or virtually
- You are a meticulous record keeper who loves a good quality CRM database
- You will feel a strong sense of ownership for the Business Development function at Ada and clearly understand it’s vital purpose in serving young people and driving forward Ada’s social impact
- You are committed to on-going personal development and comfortable giving and receiving feedback
- You enjoy the challenge of building and motivating a small team
- You are a collaborative, personable team player, also able to work independently and take ownership of your own workload.
Ada, the National College for Digital Skill is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. The successful candidate will be required to have an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and references will be sought from previous employers prior to commencing employment. Other related pre-employment checks appropriate to the post will also be carried out.
We care about equity, diversity and inclusion
Ada. National College for Digital Skills recognises that equality of opportunity and the recognition and promotion of diversity are integral to its strengths. The following principles apply in respect of the College’s commitment to equality and diversity:
- To provide and promote equality of opportunity in all areas of its work and activity;
- To recognise and develop the diversity of skills and talent within its current and potential community;
- To ensure that all employees and prospective employees of the College are treated solely on the basis of their merits, abilities and potential without receiving any unjustified discrimination or unfavourable treatment on grounds such as age, disability, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender reassignment, trans status, socio-economic status or any other irrelevant distinction;
- To provide and promote a positive working, learning, and social environment which is free from prejudice, discrimination and any forms of harassment, bullying or victimisation;
- To promote good relations between individuals from different groups.
Applicants with disabilities
Ada. National College for Digital Skills is keen to increase the number of disabled people it employs. We, therefore, encourage applications from individuals with a disability who are able to carry out the duties of the post. If you have special needs in relation to your application please contact HR@ada.ac.uk.
Sadly, we are unable to offer sponsorship for this role so can only accept applications from candidates who have the legal right to work and remain in the United Kingdom.
How to apply for the role
Please submit your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and answer the question: ‘What excites you most about this opportunity?’ in your email. In the subject field please write “Application for Head of Business Development” followed by your name.
Thank you for your interest in the role and good luck with your application!